Hochstadter, Isaacson, Cherny, Dumanis & Associate
Wisdom teeth are responsible for a considerable part of dental problems – having no role in chewing and grinding food, they can be affected in many ways and they can also cause lots of pain. Here are some causes that might result in pain:
- Failure to erupt – in many cases, wisdom teeth are unable to protrude through the gum, but they do not stop developing. When this happens, the wisdom tooth grows under the gum, horizontally, making space for the growth by pushing the adjacent teeth. The forced movement of the row of teeth and the incorrect growth process can cause lots of pain and require wisdom tooth extraction Highland Park offices offer;
- Incorrect partial eruption – wisdom teeth might also erupt partially, the growth process being compromised and continuing in the wrong direction, which can also cause lots of pain;
- Decay and infections – being located at the end of the rows of teeth, wisdom teeth are hard or impossible to clean correctly, which makes them more prone to developing cavities as well as to infections;
- Gum disease – the difficulty to clean wisdom teeth also increases the risk of developing gum disease, an affection that is accompanies by gum sensitivity, irritation, pain and very often bad breath as well.
May 20th, 2021
Posted in Wisdom Teeth | Comments Off on Do Wisdom Teeth Cause You Pain?
Wisdom teeth removal is in many ways similar to the extraction of any other tooth – the surgical area is numbed with a suitable anaesthetic, then, when the anaesthetic takes effect, the tooth is loosened in its socket and removed with the help if specialized tools, such as forceps and hammers, then the surgical wound is dressed or sutured.
The age recommended by Park Ridge wisdom tooth removal specialists for wisdom teeth removal is between the age of 15-25, right after the tooth are fully erupted. Wisdom teeth grow very slowly and their roots are not fully formed for some time even after the eruption is complete, which means that they are not fixed very firmly into the jawbone making them easier to move and to extract.
When it comes to wisdom teeth removal, there are other opinions, too: some specialists say that putting the body through an unnecessary surgery to remove healthy wisdom teeth is useless. According to them, wisdom teeth should be removed only if they are impacted, decayed or if they cause other problems, such as gum disease or infections and inflammations. This means that the extraction should not be linked to the age of the patient, but to the condition of the wisdom tooth.
May 18th, 2021
Posted in Wisdom Teeth | Comments Off on What Is The Best Age To Remove Wisdom Teeth
Dental implants are the most advanced permanent dental replacement solutions available today, artificial teeth that look, feel and work exactly like natural teeth.
Depending on the structure and the type of the installation, implants come in three main types: endosteal implants are the most common, suitable for patients who have healthy gums and a healthy jawbone, subperiosteal implants, used for patients whose jawbone is not dense enough to hold the metal pole of the implant and zygomatic implants mounted into the cheekbone, instead of the jaw and is used in patients with severe jawbone issues.
Dental implanting products can also be categorized based on the time required to complete the installation. Implant installation by a Park Ridge dental implant surgeon usually requires several interventions over a period of several months, the first one will be performed to mount the implant pole into the jaw, then the second one follows to mount the abutment on the pole, but only after the gum has healed properly and a third procedure is also necessary, to install the artificial crown. However, the patients who have sufficiently dense and strong bones have another, much faster way to get their implant: with immediate load implants that can be mounted in 48 hours, very soon after the extraction.
May 17th, 2021
Posted in Dental Implants | Comments Off on Are There A Variety of Dental Implant Products?
Wisdom teeth are vestigial molars that do not fulfill any role in chewing and this practical uselessness, combined with the difficult-to-reach location of wisdom teeth, can lead to severe dental issues. Here are some of the reasons that justify the removal of wisdom teeth when the signs and symptoms are still minor:
- Pain – in the case of wisdom teeth, even minor pain can signal a severe problem. If your wisdom tooth starts aching, visit your dentist immediately and get the tooth out if that is the specialist’s recommendation;
- Infection – wisdom teeth are difficult to reach and to clean properly, therefore they can get infected easily and in many cases, the infections fail to heal properly and recur frequently. If that is your situation, too, the best solution is extraction;
- Damage to nearby teeth – wisdom teeth often fail to erupt and they grow under the gum surface or they erupt improperly and push the nearby teeth, damaging them. Extraction is the best way to correct these issues, too;
- Gum disease – the difficulty to clean wisdom teeth usually leads to the accumulation of bacteria in the back of the mouth that can lead not only to tooth decay, but to the appearance of gum disease. The removal of the affected tooth might be the best solution of the problem. Oral Surgeons at HICD provide extraction of wisdom teeth at an affordable cost and quality services.
May 14th, 2021
Posted in Blog | Comments Off on What Is the Reasoning to Have Wisdom Teeth Removed?
Wisdom teeth used to fulfill important roles in grinding food tens of thousands of year ago, but by today, they have lost all their function. As our evolution continues, humans are moving in the direction of what scientists call third molar hypodontia, that is, the elimination of wisdom teeth from the structure of the skull. The process has probably started hundreds of years ago and by today, about one quarter of the human population has only 1-3 wisdom teeth and about 35% of people are born with no wisdom teeth at all.
Scientists are still researching the exact factors that determine whether or not someone will have all four wisdom teeth or will have a wisdom tooth deficiency. Experts currently believe that there are two important factors that determine whether someone will get wisdom teeth:
- Genetics – the lack of wisdom teeth is, in many cases, called by genetic mutations;
- The environment – in certain cultures, the percentage of people who don’t have wisdom teeth is higher than in other cultures, a possible cause being the dominant diet of the culture. If that staple diet consists mainly of soft foods, the wisdom teeth become even more obsolete and disappear completely. For wisdom tooth extraction look locally to the professionals at https://www.oralsurgery-hicd.com/contact-us/buffalo-grove-office/.
May 13th, 2021
Posted in Wisdom Teeth | Comments Off on Is It Possible to Not Have Wisdom Teeth?
Most dental extractions are simple affairs that can be easily performed by general dentists and heal in a couple of days, but some extractions require specialized knowledge and can only be done by experienced oral surgeons. Here are some of the situations when your extraction needs to be done by a surgeon:
- Wisdom tooth extraction – this type of intervention can be problematic because many wisdom teeth are not erupted properly, which makes them difficult to access and the need for wisdom tooth removal by an oral surgeon. If the tooth is not erupted at all and is growing underneath the gum, the intervention is even more complicated;
- Broken teeth – sometimes, extractions that initially seem simple end up being surgical emergencies. If a tooth breaks while a general dentist attempts the extraction, the procedure needs to be taken over by an oral surgeon who has the specialized tools and knowledge necessary for removing broken pieces;
- Very long or curved roots – teeth that have such roots cannot be extracted by general dentists because the procedure requires special tools and techniques that only experienced oral surgeons have;
- Very dense tissue around the tooth – some teeth are held captive by very dense surrounding tissue. The removal of these tooth should also be done by oral surgeons.
Mar 1st, 2021
Posted in Wisdom Teeth | Comments Off on Why Do You Need Oral Surgery For Tooth Extraction
Wisdom teeth are the last teeth at the two ends of each row. These molars no longer play a role in chewing and grinding our food and their special, difficult to reach location and lack of function makes them the most problematic teeth, the most common culprits behind a less-than-perfect smile.
Wisdom teeth can be affected in many ways. In some cases, they do not erupt correctly or completely, in others, they do not erupt at all, but grow underneath the gum surface, pushing the entire row of teeth and causing the teeth to become crowded. The most common treatment for these issues is usually the surgical wisdom tooth removal – it is the best way to avoid complications as well as to protect the other teeth.
Wisdom teeth are usually problematic, but some people are lucky and get perfectly straight, healthy wisdom teeth – if you are one of these people, you don’t need to get your healthy wisdom teeth extracted. However, even these healthy molars can develop cavities and other issues – after all, they are still located in a hard to reach place –, but most of these issues are simple to address, with the methods used for treating tooth, such as fillings or inlays.
Feb 26th, 2021
Posted in Wisdom Teeth | Comments Off on Can You Keep Your Wisdom Teeth?
If you need a dental extraction or wisdom tooth removal and you don’t know what the process involves, here are a few things to know about the intervention:
- The administration of the analgesic – most doctors offer patients the option to choose the level of sedation. In most cases, a local anesthetic is applied to numb the area where the intervention will be performed, but patients can choose deeper anesthesia, even complete sedation;
- The extraction – when the area where the tooth to be extracted is located is completely numb, the oral surgeon will start the extraction. The tools used include little hammers and shears and you can also expect the process to be accompanied by unpleasant odors and sounds;
- The dressing of the wound – after the tooth is removed along with all the pieces of its root, the hole left behind is cleaned and sutures are applied if necessary;
- Caring for the wound at home – the patient is usually allowed to go home soon after the intervention. The patient will also receive instructions for the following two days – as a general rule, the patient should take lots of rest, should avoid spicy, very hot and very cold food as well as dairy and should consume plenty of liquids.
Feb 24th, 2021
Posted in Wisdom Teeth | Comments Off on The Process of Tooth Removal
Dental implants are currently the most advanced and also the most expensive tooth replacement solutions, options that are suitable for almost any patient from a medical point of view, the only limitations being mostly financial in nature. Here are some benefits of dental implants that can help you decide whether they are your choice, too:
- Natural feel and appearance – the roots of dental implants are very well fixed in the patient’s jawbone, therefore implants will never shift or move. The crowns that make up the visible part of the implants are created from advanced materials that ensure not only their strength, but also their natural appearance and a color that matches the color of the adjacent teeth;
- Durability – with proper care, dental implants last for about 25 years. They are also problem-free – being made from strong metals and resins, they do not develop cavities and root problems;
- Suitable for people suffering from bone density issues – a Park Ridge dental implant comes in various types, some of which can be used by patients with compromised jawbone density. The application of these special implants is somewhat more complex than the application of simple implants, but they offer the above benefits as well.
Feb 23rd, 2021
Posted in Dental Implants | Comments Off on Are Dental Implants the Right Choice
Oral surgeons are highly-trained medical specialists who perform complex dental interventions that general dentists are not qualified to handle. All oral surgeons study for long years and pass difficult exams to receive their permit to practice, but even so, not all oral surgeons are a good match for you. Here is how to find the surgeon that you feel comfortable with:
- Get recommendations from your general dentist – most general dentists work with one or several oral surgeons that they refer their patients to if the affection to be treated exceeds their expertise, so your dentist will probably be able to recommend you some trustworthy doctors;
- Find doctors online and make appointments to meet them personally – a quick online query can help you find out the names and addresses of the oral surgeons in your area. Call the practices you identify and make appointments with the doctors to discuss the intervention you need and to check out the doctor’s office;
- Talk to the people you know – word-of-mouth information can also be very handy. Ask your friends and family members whether they know any oral surgeons and also ask them to recommend you doctors that they consider to be good. Hochstadter, Isaacson, Cherny, Dumanis & Associates Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Ltd. also comes highly recommended.
Feb 19th, 2021
Posted in Oral Surgery | Comments Off on How to Find the Right Oral Surgeon