Hochstadter, Isaacson, Cherny, Dumanis & Associate
If you have a tooth that is affected by extended decay and infection, you can practically choose between two treatment methods: you can have a root canal treatment or an implant. Here is what each of the solutions involve to help you choose what is best for you:
- The process – with a root canal, the tooth will be opened to clean the infected area, then a medicated filling is applied to further promote the healing. When the inflammation is gone and the healing is complete, the root is filled with permanent filling and a crown is installed to provide the visible part of the tooth. With an implant, you need the decayed tooth extracted. When the extraction site has healed, a metal pole is mounted into the jawbone, then an abutment is installed onto which the crown is mounted;
- The timeframe – root canals usually take a week or two to heal, then the crown can be installed immediately. Getting a dental implant takes much longer, depending on how long the healing takes after each phase;
- Durability – the crown installed after a root canal can last for over 10 years, while dental implants Chicago surgeons perform can last for over 20 or 25 years.
Jul 14th, 2021
Posted in Dental Implants | Comments Off on Are Dental Implants Preferred Over Root Canals and a Crown?
Oral surgeons and general dentists are both medical professionals who treat affections of the teeth and of the mouth, but the affections they treat are quite different. While general dentists usually perform root canal treatments, fillings, dental cleaning and they apply facets, oral surgeons usually treat more severe affections that general dentist do not have the qualification for, such as dental extractions, the removal of growths in the oral cavity, surgeries to correct affections of the jaws and of the face.
Another similarity between general dentists and oral surgeons is that they both work mainly based on appointments, but while patients usually make appointments for seeing their general dentist directly with the dentist’s office, many oral surgeons require their patients to have a referral from a general dentist. This means that the first step toward getting a more serious oral or dental affection treated is by turning to a general dentist to obtain a referral first, then making the appointment with the oral surgeon. However, many oral surgeons handle emergencies as well, so if you are sure that your problem can only be treated by an oral surgeon, you can call a specialist directly at https://www.oralsurgery-hicd.com/contact-us/buffalo-grove-office/, without having obtained a referral first.
Jul 13th, 2021
Posted in Oral Surgery | Comments Off on Can I Ask My Dentist for An Oral Surgeon Referral?
Wisdom teeth are vestigial molars that fulfil no real role anymore and that are the last teeth to erupt, too, usually protruding through the gums after the age of 19 or in the early 20’s. In many cases, wisdom teeth start causing problems right after or even before they erupt, many specialists recommending the removal of these problematic teeth as soon as possible. Here are some things to know about the best timing for Park Ridge wisdom tooth removal:
- Extracting healthy wisdom teeth is the best way – if you have correctly erupted wisdom teeth, the best way to proceed is to get them extracted before they get decayed. The intervention will be simple and easy and you will not miss your wisdom teeth in any way;
- When impaction is noticed – in some cases, wisdom teeth are unable to erupt and they grow under the surface of the gums, causing pain and harming the adjacent teeth. The removal of impacted wisdom teeth can be complicated, therefore the intervention is usually performed by an experienced oral surgeon;
- When the wisdom tooth is infected – wisdom teeth are difficult to clean, therefore they are prone to becoming infected. When that happens, the best solution is extraction.
Jul 12th, 2021
Posted in Wisdom Teeth | Comments Off on When Is the Best Time to Have Wisdom Teeth Extracted?
Dental implants are advanced, extremely durable dental replacement solutions that are manufactured based on a mold taken of the patient’s mouth and installed one at a time, so they are the best Buffalo Grove dental implant solution for getting any number of teeth replaced, one just as well as many.
When it comes to replacing just one lost tooth, there are two options available: you can either have a bridge consisting of three teeth, with the gap being located in the middle and with the two adjacent teeth holding up the bridge or you can have a dental implant that leaves the adjacent teeth intact and untouched, replacing only the missing tooth root and crown. While getting a bridge is usually faster, replacing the missing tooth with an implant is a solution that lasts longer and is more comfortable. Dental implants work and look every bit like natural teeth – the titanium pole that serves as the root and is installed directly into the jawbone and the state-of-the-art materials and technologies used for preparing the crown guarantee that. Bridges are also cheaper than implants, but the lifetime of an implant is usually much longer, over 25 years, while a bridge will need to be corrected or even completely replaced after around 10 years.
Jul 9th, 2021
Posted in Dental Implants | Comments Off on Can You Just Get One Dental Tooth Implant?
Oral surgeons are highly-trained and qualified dental specialists who treat health problems that affect the jaw, the face and the mouth and that are beyond the competence of general dentists. Here are some of the most common procedures performed by oral surgeons:
- Anaesthesia – while many of the procedures performed by general dentists can be done without anaesthesia, most interventions and treatments performed by oral surgeons require mild, moderate or even general anaesthesia and these doctors receive extensive training in administering sedation;
- Simple extractions – while many general dentists are willing to perform simple extractions occasionally, the removal of infected, broken or impacted teeth is one of the most common interventions performed by a knowledgeable Chicago dental implant surgeon;
- Wisdom tooth extractions – wisdom teeth removal is usually more complicated than the extractions performed to remove other types of teeth and are exclusively done by oral surgeons;
- Treatment for the temporomandibular joint syndrome – the problem manifests in the form of severe jaw pain, the inability to move the jaw during chewing or speaking and popping sounds during jaw movements. Oral surgeons diagnose the condition and they treat it with surgical and non-surgical methods;
- The removal of saliva glands – saliva glands are found in the lining of the mouth, especially on the inner side of the mouth. When they get obstructed, they might become small bumps that are not dangerous, but can be uncomfortable and are often treated by oral surgeons.
Jul 8th, 2021
Posted in Oral Surgery | Comments Off on What Procedures Do Oral Surgeons Perform?
Wisdom teeth are the last molars at the end of each row of teeth, molars that have lost their function over time and that have also lost the space in the jaw that they would need to erupt and to develop properly. These changes in the structure of the human skull account for the frequent and severe problems caused by wisdom teeth – here are some of these troubles:
- Impaction – very often, wisdom teeth become trapped (impacted) under the gum, failing to erupt through the gum, growing in the wrong direction and hurting the adjacent teeth as well. The only solution to the problem is Skokie wisdom tooth removal through an incision made on the gum;
- Decay and infection – the location of wisdom teeth makes them difficult to clean properly and this difficulty makes them more prone to cavities as well as to other forms of decay and infection. Wisdom teeth are the most common culprits behind facial swelling and severe dental pain the treatment chosen by the dentist being root canal, cleaning and filling or referral to an oral surgeon for extraction, depending on the severity of the issue;
- Jaw pain – wisdom teeth that do not erupt correctly will push the adjacent teeth, causing them to move and causing jaw stiffness and jaw pain. Like in the case of impaction, the only solution to the problem is the removal of the wisdom tooth.
Jul 7th, 2021
Posted in Wisdom Teeth | Comments Off on When Do Wisdom Teeth Become Troubling?
When your dental implants are completely integrated into the jawbone and the gum where the incision was made to insert the implant is completely healed, your implant will give you the same biting and chewing experience as natural teeth. However, until that happens, you should pay a bit more attention to what you eat and drink to help the healing process. Here are some foods and beverages that you should eliminate from your diet until healing is complete:
- Foods that are tough or have hard fibers – steaks and chewy vegetables are difficult to break down, so you should stay away from them for a few weeks after your implant surgery;
- Crunchy foods – popcorns and caramel apples should also be avoided;
- Sticky and chewy foods – gummies, caramel and toffees can also harm your healing gum;
- Acidic fruits, fruit juices and sweetened, carbonated beverages – citrus fruits and fresh fruit juices are surely good for your health, but their high acid and sugar contents might irritate healing gums. The same goes for soda products, except that they are not really healthy choices anyway;
- Anything very hot or very cold – hot tea and coffee or ice cream can also increase the sensitivity in the surgical area, so you should wait for a couple of weeks after the surgery to consume them. Ask your dental implant surgeon Highland Park area what post surgery process should be and the type of foods that will help you through the healing process.
Jun 30th, 2021
Posted in Dental Implants | Comments Off on What Foods Do You Have to Eliminate with Dental Implants?
Dental implants are currently the most modern dental replacement solutions and also a field that features continuous innovation. Implanting technologies are constantly evolving to include new installation and design techniques as well as new materials – here are some examples of innovative methods:
- Digital implant design – more and more implantologists use digital scans of the patient’s jaw to allow dental technicians to prepare customized implants that fit the patient’s jaw perfectly;
- Surgery guided by computers – many Chicago dental implants specialists today use computer programs and tiny cameras to ensure that the implant pole is installed correctly. The precision method minimizes the size of the cut and ensures the fast healing of the surgical area as well;
- Molds created with 3D printers for the crown – the visible part of dental implants is usually what interests patients the most. Modern technologies are used for creating crowns of the shape and color that match the other teeth perfectly – many dental technicians today use 3D printers to create the tooth that matches the scanned images received from the implant specialist;
- New materials – while titanium is the most common material for implant poles, new materials are also becoming widespread and the range of option is extending when it comes to the materials used in the crown, too.
Jun 28th, 2021
Posted in Dental Implants | Comments Off on What Are the New Technologies for Dental Implants?
Wisdom teeth – the last teeth at the end of each row – are vestigial molars that have lost their role in grinding and chewing food, that is why they are so often affected by development abnormalities and they become decayed so quickly after eruption. Wisdom tooth problems are so common that most people need to get them extracted at an early age – if you are going to have a wisdom tooth removal Park Ridge soon, here are some things to know about how to eat right after the intervention:
- No chewing is allowed – you will probably not want to eat any food that needs chewing right after the surgery, but even if you do, you will have to stay away from hard food at least until the effects of the anaesthetic wear out. The reason is that the numbness in your mouth might make chewing difficult and dangerous due to the risk of biting your lips or your tongue;
- Stay away from solid food for a while – you should refrain from hard food for a couple of days more, to allow the extraction site to start healing;
- Stay away from hot, cold meals and dairy – hot and cold foods and beverages might irritate the extraction site, while dairy products might increase the risk of infections.
Jun 25th, 2021
Posted in Wisdom Teeth | Comments Off on Can You Chew Food Right Away After Wisdom Tooth Surgery?
For most people, their wisdom teeth are the first ones to need extraction, usually not long after the molars have erupted or even before that. In most cases, the extraction is very similar to the extraction of any other teeth, but in some cases, the intervention is more complex, the difficulty of the surgery largely determining your driving abilities. Here is what you need to know about driving home on your own right after the wisdom tooth removal Buffalo Grove area surgery:
- The level of anaesthesia used – if the extraction is performed under simple local anaesthesia and you feel good after the intervention, there is no reason why you could not drive after the extraction. However, if the extraction is performed under deeper sedation, the sedative administered might interfere with your ability to drive, therefore you will need to ask someone to drive you home and you will need to stay away from driving for at least 24 hours;
- Driving later on during the day after local sedation – even if you are allowed to drive home after your surgery, you might feel run down or you might experience pain when the anaesthetic wears out completely, so you might need to take things easy for a day or two.
Jun 23rd, 2021
Posted in Wisdom Teeth | Comments Off on Can You Drive After Getting Your Wisdom Teeth Removed?